NPDES Stormwater Permit
Federal Way operates under the Western Washington Phase II NPDES Municipal Stormwater Permit. The Permit allows municipalities to discharge stormwater runoff from municipal drainage systems into the State’s water bodies (i.e., streams, rivers, lakes, wetlands, etc.) as long as municipalities implement programs to protect water quality to the “maximum extent practicable” through application of Best Management Practices (BMPs). These required practices, specified in the Permit, are collectively referred to as the Stormwater Management Program.
The Permit requires the City to report on this Program via the Stormwater Management Program Plan (or SWMP) by March 31st of each year on program implementation for the prior year. and requires municipalities to update the SWMP to describe the actions planned to achieve and maintain permit compliance in the upcoming year.
The SWMP update is organized according to the following program components:
- Stormwater Planning
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Involvement and Participation
- MS4 Mapping and Documentation
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Controlling Runoff from New Development, Redevelopment, and Construction Sites
- Operations and Maintenance
- Source Control Program for Existing Development
- Monitoring and Assessment
We want to hear from you!