business license - new and renewal

Business licensing is managed by the Washington State Department of Revenue. To file a new or renew a business license, visit the WA State Department of Revenue.

Federal Way City Endorsement

The City of Federal Way requires all businesses located or conducting business within the city limits to obtain a City Endorsement. A city endorsement license is active for one year, and the application and fee are processed online by the WA Department of Revenue. As a reminder, a business must have an active WA State business license before applying for a city endorsement.


Activity Permit: Right-of-Way

Right-of-Way Activity Permit ($43) is required for use of public-right-of-way, such as streets and sidewalks. Examples of right-of-way permit activities are community parades, planned protests, etc.  


Temporary business registration

Temporary Business License ($51) is required when a business is operating within the city limits for 90 days or less in any 365-day period. An example of a temporary business registrant is a seasonal Christmas tree vendor. Alternatively, you may apply for a license to operate in the City of Federal Way via a City Endorsement.  

Applications for Right-of-Way Activity Permit and Temporary Business Registration are accepted at Federal Way City Hall or by mail sent to the address below with a check or money order payable to the City of Federal Way.

Federal Way City Hall
Finance Department - 2nd Floor
33325 8th Avenue South
Federal Way, WA 98003

If you have questions, contact the City of Federal Way at 253-835-2526 or at