Permit Requirements

The city owns the property under, on and above the roadways and sidewalks, usually extending 10 to 20 feet beyond the roadway pavement and way often extends well into what appears to be private property. Assets within the right of way may include the roadway, curb, gutter, sidewalks, vegetation, sewer and water lines, telephone, power and other utility infrastructure.
The city requires a permit for any activity that disrupts traffic, restricts access or modifies any infrastructure within the right of way or for any private use of the public right of way. Such activities include replacement of or modifications to driveways, sidewalk repair and installation of irrigation systems. Utility and construction companies are required to obtain permits for all work within the right of way.



Staff in the Street Systems Division of the Public Works Department can assist in the early stages of planning to help determine if a right of way use permit is necessary. It can also advise of any problems that may be encountered or revisions that may be needed to meet city codes or other regulations. If a permit is required, please plan to submit your application at least two weeks prior to your desired project/event start date. Contact the ROW permit desk at 253.835.2725 or for more details.
Digging more than a foot deep in the public right of way, even to plant a shrub, may encounter power lines or other utilities. In addition to the obvious life-safety concerns, there may be liability for damage to any utility encountered. Call 8.1.1 before you dig, it's the law.

Sample Plans


Sample Traffic Control Plans


Bond Forms