What is a Misdemeanor?

Misdemeanors are those offenses punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a fine of $1,000. Gross misdemeanors are offenses punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of $5,000. Felonies are offenses punishable by a prison term of more than one year. We do not handle felonies in this court. All hearings require a mandatory appearance unless you are excused from attendance by the judge.

Court Dates

Most likely the court date for your first appearance (arraignment) is on the citation given to you by the officer at the time of your arrest. Other court dates will be given to you in court in writing when you appear.

You may be summoned to appear in court by mail, so it is crucial that you keep your address updated at all times with the court. The court will send the summons or other notices to your last known address. A warrant can be issued if you fail to respond even if you do not actually receive the summons. You can notify the court of your new address by calling 253.835.3000 or mailing the court a change of address at:

Federal Way Municipal Court
33325 8th Ave. S., Suite 102
Federal Way, WA 98003

Public Defender

If you have been charged with a crime at Federal Way Municipal Court and cannot afford an attorney, you may request a public defender. Applications are available at the Federal Way Municipal Court, or you may download one online. 

We screen for public defenders every Tuesday-Thursday morning. Please complete the application and come to court with copies of all supporting documentation and a $20 processing fee. Your public defender fees will be added during sentencing, so do not let lack of funding keep you from screening. It is possible that the screening fee may be $282 if it is determined that you can contribute to the cost of your defense.

Our Public Defense firm is Stewart MacNichols Harmell, Inc. P.S. at 253.859.8840 or email at Legal@sbmhlaw.com

Lawyer Referrals

The Washington State Bar Association can refer you to a lawyer who is experienced in the type of law you need. Additionally, the following agencies can assist with lawyer referral: